Cakes and pops

It's Sunday night and I've just finished off a weekend full of cooking with a batch of doughnuts. Yummo! But more about that later...

This weekend my most important task was creating a birthday cake for oldest niece, who was celebrating her tenth birthday with 15 girls and a sparkly disco. Obviously I was going to have to try to make a sparkly disco-ish cake.


The photo doesn't show it too well, but the whole cake was covered in holographic glitter - very sparkly! Most importantly, the birthday girl was very happy, especially since the colours and silhouettes matched her invitations.

I'm on a bit of a mission to reduce food waste at the moment. Apparently Australians waste $5.2 billion of food each year! That's a lot of money, and I want to make my share of it as small as possible. So I decided to make cake pops with the left over cake.

All of the recipes I've seen for cake pops suggest buying a packet of red velvet mix and stirring it together with a can of cream cheese frosting. As I'd never seen a can of cream cheese frosting until a visit to US Foods this morning - too late for cake pops, in other words. So I decided to improvise with the half a cup of white chocolate ganache left over from the cake's crumb coat, and about a quarter of a tube of sweetened condensed milk. I mixed it in with what basically amounted to half a butter cake, rolled the mix into balls and set them aside to chill. The next morning I dipped them in melted white chocolate, added lollipop sticks and a dusting of edible glitter. Voila! Cake pops, and not a can of cream cheese frosting in sight.


These were so easy to make that I'll definitely give it another shot next time I have some spare cake and ganache to mix with it. 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
food hits and misses 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Foodie favourites

Topics

afternoon tea (22) baking (43) breakfast (4) cake (26) Christmas (12) dessert (24) fish (5) gluten-free (5) jam (3) lunch (1) morning tea (6) preserves (3) quick (2) seasonal (1) side dish (3) slow cooker (2) snack (3) soup (6) special occasion (1) summer (3) vegan (9) vegetarian (15) winter (2)

Shop for cookbooks

Fishpond